How to Fix Sluggish January Sales
Looking for a quick fix, maybe a magic answer? I don’t have one. What I do have are a few tips to ensure that you don’t end up worrying about January next year. So if you really want to fix it, read on. If not… skip to the next blog promising “easy” answers.
Ok, you are still here. GREAT! Here is the thing, start with what you tell yourself about January. What you think about, you bring about. If you believe that January is a terrible month, Heaven can’t help you. The most common complaints this time of year are:
Everyone is “broke” after Christmas
Everyone is waiting on the new catalog
No one wants to host
1. Let’s start with the ubiquitous “everyone”. Everyone isn’t anything. Each individual on your prospect list and client list has a unique set of circumstances. Lumping them all into one category absolves you from responsibility and robs you of a success. Don’t let yourself off that easy.
2. On the subject of being “broke”. Now I don’t doubt that some people are a little light in their bank account in January… SOME. But, some people spend with in their means, some people budget, some people exchange hand made gifts, SOME people have gotten paid again and SOME people got Christmas bonuses! I can guarantee you this too. SOME people on your list are out of moisturizer, need the perfect wedding gift, baby shower gift, lipstick or a new pan. YOU won’t know who is who until you contact them ALL. That is the nature of the business, you have to WORK to prosper.
3. New Catalogs. Guys, your clients are not waiting on a new catalog. YOU are waiting on a new catalog. Your clients wouldn’t even know there was a new catalog if you hadn’t told them. They do not own everything from the current catalog that they love. What a great time to reach out and let them know that new things are on the way and some items are being retired. Of course, you don’t know what is being retired (insert wink). You will be amazed at the orders that pour in from clients who don’t want to miss the chance to stock up on a favorite. And you will build a buzz for new product coming soon!
4. Also on the subject of a new catalog, where is it written that they can’t order this month and next month too? If you have bought in to the belief that they won’t order old favorites this month and new favorites next month… let it go! These beliefs limit your results and simply is not true. Set yourself free!
5. Finally, no one wants to host. I don’t know who no one is but I will guarantee you that there are people on your list who would happily host. Of course you won’t know who until you ASK. And you will have to ask more people in January than you will in May. That is just the nature of the business. Don’t let that show go to another consultant who was willing to pick up the phone.
I will close with this great quote
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t–you’re right.”
Go and make January fantastic, you have nearly a week to do so!
Michelle Archer is a seasoned, veteran executive in the direct selling industry with 25 years of experience. Her past corporate and field experience gives her a fresh perspective on business, success and direct selling. She partners with young companies and individuals through executive coaching and consulting to explode their potential. Connect with her on Facebook Learn more at http://directsalesinstitute.com/